If you are a business owner or want to become one, you need to be productive and organized. But how to organize a business when there is so much to focus on? Where should you start and how to plan it right?
How to Organize a Business Effectively
Tip # 1 Organize Your Documents and Files
Do you have tons of invoices, documents, projects that you have printed out? How many hours per week do you spend just looking for the right papers? It is time to organize your files and documents and get rid of the clutter.
- Take one drawer at time, so you wouldn’t feel overwhelmed.
- Shred the documents you don’t need.
- Scan the documents you might need in the future. for instance five-year old notes from a business partner or a client.
Make it a habit to organize your documents and files every day or at least once a week. It helps you to be more productive as you don’t spend that much time just looking for the right paper.
Tip # 2 Storage Your Files in the Cloud
As a business owner, you may easily get many files and documents by e-mail. Use a Dropbox, Google Drive and other tools to storage as many files as possible in the cloud. Therefore you don’t need to overwhelm your mailbox and it makes it easy to share and edit files with others.
Tip # 3 Organize Your Emails
Do you receive hundreds of emails every single day that you need to handle as soon as possible? Can you relate? This is a reality to many entrepreneurs. Take some time to take a deeper look what kind of emails you get. Consider unsubscribing from the lists you are no longer interested in. When you start storing your files in the cloud (see Tip # 2), there should be decrease of incoming and outgoing emails as well.
Use Aweber to send out automatic newsletters and follow-ups. All you do is setting these up once and that’s it.
Tip # 4 Declutter and Stay on Track with Your Social Media Profiles
How many social media profiles do you use for your business? Do you have a plan how you use those? Social media is very important part in every business and it shouldn’t be overlooked. But how to organize a business the way that you won’t become a slave of your social media profiles?
Here is how to organize a business social media effectively:
- Figure out where your ideal customer hangs out. If they hang out in Facebook and Pinterest, don’t waste much time in Twitter or LinkedIn then. Keep your main focus on the first two.
- Get clear what is your goal in social media. That helps to get clear what you need to do over there and whether it is worth your time.
- Scheduling ahead of time helps to reduce stress. Use HootSuite, Buffer or Post Planner to schedule your posts. If you are a blogger or have a blog for your business, you can also automatically post your blog post to Twitter and Facebook through Aweber.
- Consider hiring a Virtual Assistant to help you out with social media, creating eye-catching pictures, scheduling your posts and other duties.
Tip # 5 Organize Your Business Office for Good
Are your desk and shelves all cluttered? Keep it simple and get rid of all the things you don’t use. Here are some ideas how to organize a business office:
- Put away all the wires and cables in your office that you don’t use.
- Donate or sell the things you don’t use on eBay or have a garage sale.
- Recycle the electronics that is broken and you no longer can use.
Having a clean desk and keeping your office simple helps to reduce stress as you don’t have to constantly organize everything.
Tip # 6 Keep a Calendar and Business Planner
As an entrepreneur, you need to keep on track with everything. These include your customers, business partners, passwords, products, invoices, etc. Simplify your life so you can provide better customer service. Use these tools to get more organized:
- Use a Business Planner to organize your business days, customers, products and services. Keep your important notes in Printable Business Planner folder. No more lost contacts and no more lost sales. Keep your things simple and there is less to organize in the future.
- Acuity Scheduling automates your client bookings, cancellations, reminders and payments with one click. Your clients are able see your real-time calendar availability, self-select the date and time that works best for them, and easily book (and pay for!) their own appointments in advance. This saves you tons of time and lets your business run smoothly.
Tip # 7 Create Plans and Keep Your Business Up to Date
There are several free tools to keep your business running smoothly. Creating marketing and sales plans ahead helps you run your business more effectively. You can use the Business Planner to outline your goals and achievements with daily and weekly plans. Don’t forget to keep your business up to date. Take care of things you have pushed ahead. Some key questions to ask yourself are:
- Do you have a Tax ID number?
- Do you have all the permits and licences you need to operate?
- Is your accounting up to date?
These are just few very important questions, but the list is not final. You as an entrepreneur are responsible for your honest performance.
How to Organize Your Business Wrap Up
You either love organizing or you hate it. But in any case, as an entrepreneur, you need to keep your business organized. Use these seven methods to organize your business. Keep things simple and focus on what matters the most to you in your business.
You may also find useful:
What is your best tip to organize your business? What would you add to the list?
Affiliate links may be used in this post. Ordering a product through this link may result in a commission with no extra cost to you. All opinions are my own. Read Disclosure Policy.